When sautéing raw prepared okra, it is best to use clarified butter (or butter and oil). Okra picks up a bitter taste when it browns too much, and clarified butter helps prevent this.
- Wash whole okra, dry it well, and remove the stems and caps without cutting into the flesh.
- Melt clarified butter in a sauté pan and add the okra pods to the butter.
- Sauté over moderate to high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and sauté, tossing often until just tender. Season to taste.
- Curried Okra: Add curry powder to the clarified butter and cook for 1 minute before adding okra.
- Sweet and Sour Okra: Mix equal parts lemon juice and sugar, approximately 2 tablespoons of each per ½ pound okra. After the initial sauté, add the lemon-sugar mixture. Stir for 1 minute. Add ½ cup water, lower heat to medium, and toss continuously while liquids reduce until thickened. When the sauce is syrupy, the okra should be tender.